[nycphp-talk] NYC Freelance rates

Sterling Hughes sterling at bumblebury.com
Mon Jan 20 12:35:29 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 12:38, Brian wrote:
> Jumping at a low rate has a tendency to put you in a low pay bracket for any
> future work that may come out of it.  People start passing out your name as
> 'the cheap guy' and that type of pigeon-holing is a trend that is difficult
> to change.
>
> That may be easy for me to say, since I am not at a loss for projects at the
> moment either.  I will say that it was necessary for me to cut some of the
> cheap ties lately and make contacts in bigger companies with bigger budgets
> and with a better understanding of quality work.

Of course, and when that time comes you can say, "I'm sorry, but my rate
is no longer XXX an hour.  Because of the quality of my work, I'm very
busy and my rate is UUU.  Since you're an old client, I'll only charge
you ZZZ."

XXX == cheap rate
ZZZ == exorbinant rate minus a little
UUU == exorbinant rate

If they don't want to pay you, then you can move onto your other
clients, and they will probably still have a good taste in their mouth
because you tried to accomodate them, and hopefully give you more
expensive work when they find it.  If they are willing to pay you, then
great, you're only giving them a small discount for one project, and it
may lead to a continuing relationship at the rate you're currently
charging.

-Sterling

--
"I can't give you a brain, so I'll give you a diploma"
    - The Great Oz, The Wizard of Oz