[nycphp-talk] embedding one web page in another

Wellington Fan wfan at encogent.com
Thu Jul 10 11:34:31 EDT 2003

Joe,

You use this line of code:

 if (!($fp = fopen($theurl, 'r'))) { echo 'Could not open URL'; exit; }
$contents = fread($fp, 1000000);

According to the manual, (http://www.php.net/manual/en/wrappers.php), with
regards to the fopen() and other simialr functions:

<Quote>
Note: HTTPS is supported starting from PHP 4.3.0, if you have compiled in
support for OpenSSL.
</Quote>

So....sure you can get to https:/somepage in your browser, BUT in PHP, you
need to have OpenSSL support enabled in order to use https in an fopen() call.

You might not know what OpenSSL support means, just know that everyone's PHP
engine can be different, and you need this OpenSSL component to do what you
want to do.

HTH