setting up AMP w/ RH 9.0 (need advice!)

David Mintz dmintz at panix.com
Sat Jun 14 13:02:08 EDT 2003

Hello

I've been hacking PHP for a while but I am a RedHat system administration
rookie, trying to migrate from Windows 2K (tho I sometimes wonder why).
The goal here is get a development machine working, and serve some
personal stuff to the world just for kicks.

This RH9 comes with Mysql 3.32.56 and Apache 2.0.40 and PHP 4.2.2 right
out of the box and everything appeared fine at first. Then I tried
connecting to a mysql database with PEAR.

Spent a couple hours going crazy wondering why pear kept saying "DB
extension not found", messing with include_path() and require()  and so
forth till I finally decided, hey, try connecting to mysql the traditional
way. Guess what:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in ....

Then I recalled again that people say apache 2.x has security as well as
compatibilty problems (while The Apache folks tells us 2.x is the latest
and greatest).

So here's the question (thanx for your patience): what do you experienced
and wise folks recommend as a general strategy for this? Upgrade PHP or
downgrade Apache? Build either or both from source, or get RPMs somewhere?

Very gratefully,

	David

---
David Mintz