[nycphp-talk] watching external URL traffic

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 11:35:22 EDT 2003

--- Christopher Hendry <chendry at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> Here's the situation:
>
> I've got a client that books sales through an external frameset.  This
> client also drives traffic from an affiliate, which utilizes links through
> commission junction and also wraps the same frameset that my client uses
> directly.
>
> There is the possibility that this affiliate is screwing around on us -
> possibly manipulating queries passed to the frameset (which does the
> sales).
>
> Are there any ways I can watch his website and the traffic, or requests?
> Anything would be helpful.

Sure... key in you CC number to 1-800-CRACKER and someone will be in touch
shortly  :)

So you want to see what hits his site is getting and then passing to you, and
compare it with what he says he's getting and passing to you?

Well, baring anything devious, I can't think of a foolproof way to do that
really.  Depending on how determined he might be, you can of course check
REFERER, or put hidden keys of some sort in the framesets.  If you have the
ability to rotate these keys at some level, you might be able to catch if
he's synthesizing requests.

That's a bit amorphous, I know.