[nycphp-talk] system commands and backups

Christopher R. Merlo cmerlo at turing.matcmp.ncc.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:12:29 EST 2003

On 2003-03-04 23:36 -0500, Rolan <rolan at omnistep.com> wrote:

> 1) create some shell scripts that do specifically what you want.
> (tar/gzip up directories?)
> 2) configure sudo so that those scripts can be run as another user
> (authorized to be executable by "nobody")
> 3) call the scripts from within php.

I have root access to the box I need to backup, and so I don't even
use sudo.  As root, I made a cron job like:
tar cfz stuff.tgz /all/my/stuff && scp stuff.tgz cmerlo at otherbox:~/backups

Nice and neat, no PHP involved.  Certainly not web configurable, but I
tend to see that as a good thing.

--
cmerlo at turing.matcmp.ncc.edu        http://turing.matcmp.ncc.edu/~cmerlo

Linux:  Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste.