[nycphp-talk] Hi !

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 23:26:31 EST 2003

--- nyphp at jimbishop.org wrote:
> > > I just got this piece of spam to my mail account using the address I
> set
> > > up just for NYPHP.  Has the subscriber list been compromised?
> >
> > Negative, and with private archives the address must have been harvested
> > using other means.
>
> So then it was picked up off of the online archives?

Again, negative.  The archives are only accesible after registering and
logging in - something others have mentioned as being a pain, but at the same
time, this is the first ever spam issue that's been reported.

> The only place I use
> this address is for this mailing list.  It's not even a mail account or an
> alias.  I just have all of my email go to one mailbox, but I switch out
> the name to track who's selling my email address.  I don't believe NYPHP
> is selling email addresses, but I wonder if the archives are being
> harvested for spam purposes.

Unless a spammer has registered and logged into the archives, this is not an
issue.  As others pointed out, there are many clever ways people can sniff
addresses or use "brute force" methods.  Having a catchall account for
nyphp.org, I am a victim of these types of attacks continuously.

> jim.bishop

6489DXSF2-974RMqn0745IfyN5-899Kudi6325ofiK9-776ildZ9696aXSM6-980Wspp1032ntiO3-641HKl78