[nycphp-talk] include "<?php" in data

Michael Southwell southwell at dneba.com
Wed Nov 5 10:01:21 EST 2003

At 10:35 PM 11/3/2003, you wrote:

> > A word of explanation:  I have some very similar pages which I'm
> converting
> > to one page, with various display data in arrays and choosing which array
> > by getting which one from the link to it.
>
>Putting page contents in an array sounds wasteful.
>
>Store each page as a file.  Store common headers and footers in two
>separate files.  Include the headers/footers at the top/bottom of each
>page.  Then, in the body of each page, include your popbig() function as
>needed.

Actually, this is the way the pages are set up already:  everything is
includes except the specific data for the page.  So then I thought:  this
should be just one page with variable data; instead of ten pages each 2K,
have one page 10K.  Smaller and faster.  This worked fine (once I got the
coding correct) because the image display was formulaic.  But it broke down
with the print stylesheet which can't be formulaic because it's dependent
on the sizes of the images; so newpages have to be decided
individually.  So I gave up on this.  The whole application isn't really
large enough for the "smaller and faster" to make much of a difference (so
in that sense it was kind of an exercise).

But what do you all think of the concept?  Is there something I was
overlooking?

DNEBA Enterprises
81 South Road
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403-1419