[nycphp-talk] Apache 2.0 and PHP

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Thu Nov 20 12:02:12 EST 2003

Hans Zaunere wrote:

> Scott Mattocks wrote:
> >> not to run it if you are using PHP but I can't remember why.  Are
>> there still issues mixing the two?  Should we reconsider our Apache
>> distribution and what advice do you guys have to make the transition
>> easier?
>

> Very little, if any, progress has been made on this front.  It's not
> PHP/Apache 2.0/ per se, but rather the libs that PHP uses.  For
> instance, let's say you compile PHP with GD support - is GD thread
> safe?  Then you compile GD with libjpeg - is libjpeg thread safe?  The
> number of combinations of libs that PHP can be used with is huge, and
> thus ensuring each is thread safe is very hard.  That said, the
> PHPZend/Apache 2.0/ interaction, at the SAPI and engine levels, could be
> improved, but there is little motivation because of the library issues.
> It's a chicken-before-the-egg problem.
>
> You could use Apache 2 with the prefork MPM.  However, that's basically
> the same as Apache 1, but using a not-so-well-tested SAPI - so why
> switch?  :)

Seems that some might use the thread-safety issue to knock PHP with FUD.
  Perhaps we need to nip that one in the bud by saying a few [mininally
techy] words about the effectiveness of running in Apache 2 prefork mode
in the AMP marketing doc?  I'll at least put in some info and then
others can improve. Anyone have any stories on this?

John