[nycphp-talk] Hello / Geo coords

Spot spot at deviantart.com
Thu Nov 20 14:56:24 EST 2003

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would introduce myself as new member to the list and pose a question at the same time.

My name is Spot(yes, legally). I am with deviantART.com. We are the largest art community in the world with a little under 500,000 artists, almost 3 million pieces of art and close to 80 million hits a month. We move about 55mbit/s average. Running on 37 boxes (last I checked) and two 9 terabyte fibre enclosures. All on Apache/PHP/Mysql. Except for Zues talking to the fibre enclosures for raw data (images). All of our code is from the ground up. No external libraries.

Currently we are employing somewhat of a locational system where we allow artists to provide their Geo coords (after getting them from Maporama.com) and then, currently using GeoURL.org, we pull in RSS feeds and allow them to see lists of artists close to them.

We are interested in bringing as much of this "in-house" as possible. Especially the GeoURL functionality. Does anyone have any information on methods for creating "crow flies" distances between artists based on geo coords? I would be interested in using a third party library if there is one.

Thanks!

Spot
Director of Prints
deviantART Inc.