[nycphp-talk] Apache 2.0 and PHP

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Fri Nov 21 12:53:18 EST 2003

I missed Hans's response somehow. Oops. :-)

--- Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg <adam at trachtenberg.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Hans Zaunere wrote:
> > Interesting... but did he, or anyone else, have a compelling reason
> > to use Apache 2 in the pre-fork MPM?
>
> 1) You want to use mod_perl 2.0. (That's why Ticketmaster uses Apache
>    2.0, they're all mod_perl hackers.)

Yeah, mod_perl 2.0 seems to have some nice features over mod_perl 1.0,
including increased stability (I know this sounds odd, since it's newer,
but their testing framework is brilliant). So, Ticketmaster probably wants
to take advantage of this, plus Apache 2 has been out for over a year and
a half now, so it's not as risky to use it now as it might have been a
year ago.

> 2) You want to use Windows. (Insert disclaimer here.)

Good God. :-)

> 3) Your answer here.

Apache 2 is considerably faster - at least, that's what a lot of smart
Apache hackers tell me. Some people would probably exchange some
reliability for speed, depending on their needs (and depending on how much
perceived reliability they have to exchange). And, like I said, a lot of
people consider it to be quite stable and reliable now, and the internals
have been redesigned and are supposedly better.

Yahoo uses Apache 1, and Rasmus seems to still prefer this to Apache 2.
For those who want to use Apache 2 and were being held back because of the
perceived problems with it and PHP, I think they can go ahead now.
Basically, don't switch to Apache 2 because of PHP, but don't let PHP stop
you either. That's my take. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/