[nycphp-talk] no longer need help with debugging mail()

Michael Southwell southwell at dneba.com
Fri Nov 21 11:59:29 EST 2003

Thanks for all the responses (though many suggestions
assumed--incorrectly--that I have access to the server).  It turns out that
the problem was angle brackets in the $from variable ($from="my name
<email at somewhere.xx>";), which were no problem on one site and a problem on
the other one (haven't yet figured out why).  Changing them to entities
fixed everything--but I think I'll just get rid of them anyway.

At 04:51 PM 11/20/2003, I wrote:
>I am moving a site from one server to another one (the new one is in nyc
>and has a 2-letter extension ;-).  The contact form on the old site is
>working perfectly, but identical code on the new one isn't.  Phpinfo tells
>me that sendmail is there and presumably working.  Docs say that mail()
>returns TRUE or FALSE so I tried this code:
>----------------
>if (mail($to,$subject,$message,$from)==FALSE) do something
>else do something else
>--------------
>which always does something else so mail seems to be returning TRUE but
>the message never arrives.  How do I do a better job of debugging what's
>happening?

DNEBA Enterprises
81 South Road
Bloomingdale, NJ 07403-1419