[nycphp-talk] Apache 2.0/Virtual Host with SSL

Daniel J Cain Jr. dan at cain.sh
Wed Oct 8 12:51:23 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:14, Tim Gales wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> There a guy who says:
> 3) It is possible to have multiple Name Based Virtual Hosts
> plus a single SSL Name Based Virtual Host on a single IP,
> despite what it says in the mod_ssl faq. I can give the
> details on request.

It is impossible to have more than one SSL enabled site on a single IP
without using an external device to hold multiple IP's and forward to a
single IP but on different ports.

What I am trying to say is that these cannot be hosted on a single IP
(but one could be):
https://www.example1.com
https://www.example2.com
https://www.example3.com

You can have multiple virtual hosts that use http and a single https
virtual host all on a single IP though.  This is possible:
https://secure.hosting.com
http://www.example1.com
http://www.example2.com
http://www.example3.com

The reason (unless something major has changed in the TCP/IP world) is
that SSL happens at a lower level in the TCP/IP protocol stack than the
browser sending over what site it is looking for.

If someone can prove me wrong please provide details I would LOVE for it
to be possible and it has been over a year since I have needed to
implement something like this.