[nycphp-talk] Perl bumped by PHP in the Linux Journal Reader's Choice Awards

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Oct 14 14:43:21 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Chris Shiflett wrote:

> I love PHP and all, but I find these results hard to believe. Perl
> still seems quite a bit more popular to me. And Java, which I can't
> stand, seems more popular than both PHP and Perl.

I just attended a presentation by Tim O'Reilly where he broke down
computer books sales data by programming language.

I don't remember the exact order, but I believe it went something like
this:

1) Java
2) VB
3) JavaScript
4) PHP? (Maybe C# is 4 and PHP is 5)
X) C, C++, C#
Y) Perl

PHP books outsell Perl books considerably. The Perl market is in the
toilet compared to a few years ago, while PHP has gone up, up,
up. Non-programming programming langauges, like VB and JS are more
popular than most programmers expect. (Just as how Photoshop is the
best selling computer book subject.)

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!