[nycphp-talk] SQL Standards (there are so many to choose from)

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Thu Oct 23 12:33:24 EDT 2003

Analysis & Solutions wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:28:02PM -0400, Tim Gales wrote:
>
>>Hans Zaunere  wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah, in fact Oracle will often curse you if you don't use
>>>single quotes everywhere
>

> Hans, can you please talk more about that?  Like, for example, is it going
> to bitch about not using single quotes around a numeric literal you're
> inserting into an integer colunn?  Or are you saying that it wants you to
> use single quotes rather than double quotes?

If it's a numeric column, and a numeric value, it'll let you get away without using any quotes, for instance:

somenumber=12345

But if it's a column of type string, date/time, etc, you'll need single quotes to avoid the "invalid number" error.  And double quotes are just a no no.

>>found an article at http://www.dbazine.com/gulutzan3.html
>>written by Peter Gulutzan, who co-wrote the book "SQL-99
>>Complete, Really"
>

> Excellent link!

Yeah, that is one for the bookmarks.

> Does anyone HAVE that book?  I'm interested in purchasing it, but I'd
> like to see it before hand, especially since it runs ~$70 list.  I called
> three Barnes and Noble's, including the textbook one, and they don't have
> it.

I've had good luck with Amazon's used books:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0879305681/qid%3D1027710751/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F1/103-4200861-4283003

Or, they have it for $50.