[nycphp-talk] SPAM tank

Shawn Lawyer shawn at shawnlawyer.com
Mon Oct 27 01:12:38 EST 2003

As is known, I hate Spam.

About two years ago I came up with a simple way to eliminate Spam. I stopped
collecting all traditional email and directed anyone who desired to
contacted me to visit the contact section of my website. Here they were
instructed to either login or apply for right to contact me electronically.
This was a solution worked for fundamental purposes, stopping all Spam.

This under developed method for handling *email* didn't really take that
long to manage, having to review applicants and read mail. The difficulties
were not being able to receive acceptable automated lists such as NYPHP, and
emergency emails from non approved clients.

Needless to say, I started collecting my email again. I feel though, through
wide scale participation, all the hassle can be eliminated. It would require
a WS type architecture for the mailing lists and a completely new standard
for email retrieval and sending, but is certainly possible. Anyone up for a
project? Heh.

Another idea:

In the 70's and early 80's kids would pull the emergency brake at rush hour
on the subways of Manhattan. It had become a major problem. Then one day a
most of the people riding in a car, beat the crap out a guys who pulled the
emergency brake for no reason. Since that day no one falsely pulls the
emergency brake. Point being, these emails could be tracked and managed if
there were mass motivation.

moo

Shawn Lawyer

See: http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/pdfs/PIP_Spam_Report.pdf