[nycphp-talk] so-called triple md5

David Sklar sklar at sklar.com
Tue Sep 2 13:27:27 EDT 2003

If you're at the point where the difference between TEA and Blowfish is
important to your application, then you should read Applied Cryptography.

What are you encrypting? For the differences between algorithms to really
matter, you should be analyzing how much ciphertext you're generating, who's
likely to snoop it, what kind of resources they have, etc.

For most web-based services, the likelihood of a bruteforce attack (or
slightly-less-than-brute-force based on a weakness of a cryptosystem) is so,
so, so much less than the likelihood of an attack because someone was
careless and left a key in an accesssible place or chose an easily guessable
key. A 56 bit key and a 1024 bit key are equally weak when they're written
on a post-it stuck to a monitor.

David