[nycphp-talk] so-called triple md5

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Tue Sep 2 14:28:09 EDT 2003

I'm encrypting smallish strings, probably not subject to attack but
protected just in case.

1) I want passwords to be encrypted for storage, but decryptable so that
they can be looked-up by an admin (over SSL) or (gasp!) sent to a user
via email if the user has agreed in advance that this is a completely
insecure thing to do.

2) I want to create an encrypted session cookie that includes the
session id and a shared secret that changes with every request.

3) I'd also like to encrypt identity data like addresses and telephone
numbers.

This may at some point be used to protect access to quasi-financial data
(credits in a game economy), but never credit card or social security
numbers. I know that all of this is dependent on the encryption key
remaining secret, but in a shared-database environment this seems like
the right thing to do.

    chris.