[nycphp-talk] Simple parse/replace

Robert Dumas rdumas at cmj.com
Wed Sep 10 18:21:10 EDT 2003

Hey all:

I have cobbled together a simple changelog system for the web folks here at
work, using php and some flat text files. The script simply concatenates the
fields, with \t characters in between each variable, into a file for that
particular server. The format looks roughly like this:

$timestamp\t$modby\t$files\t$notes\n
for example:
9/10/2003, 5:41 PM	Robert D.	changelog/add.php	Got basic
Changelog service up and running.
(Those are tabs between each field)

There's also a simple viewing page which (you guessed it) lets you view the
file.

What I want to do is output it in a nice table, with the tabs replaced with
table cells. How would I parse it as such? Bear in mind that the text files
must remain tab-delimited, so as not to boff up an analysis script, so I
can't output table data into the text file (nor would I want to, if I could;
that is far too kludgy).

Cheers
--RD

Robert Dumas