[nycphp-talk] more queries, or bigger in-memory data structure ?

David Mintz dmintz at panix.com
Thu Sep 18 16:51:08 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Tim Gales wrote:

> You probably have already thought of this, but if things
> slow down too much, you could put the judge's name in the
> event table. This brings about the usual headaches
> (referential integrity checks you have to make) when you
> de-normalize a design. But it might not be too bad (I am
> assuming the judges don't change much on the events).

Sshhhh, don't let the Normalization Police hear you.

Theoretically one could also make more liberal use of ENUM column types.
Which would also bring major maintenance headaches of its own. Sometimes a
judge retires or dies and should be concealed from the user yet remain
there un-deleted for historical and referential integrity reasons. I don't
even want to think about how to implement that with an ENUM.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/
Email: See http://dmintzweb.com/whitelist.php first!