[nycphp-talk] Error involving inner SELECT using mySQL - HELP

Jim Hendricks jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Sun Sep 21 14:51:45 EDT 2003

MessageI wouldn't categorize mySQL a waste of database.

It depends on your needs.  Do you need a fast, small, cheap database which is easy to get into and use, or a advanced, expensive, database that takes months of studying to begin to utilize to it's best abilities?

Oracle, Sybase, MSSQL etc. have been available for quite some time, have many advanced features, but comes at quite a cost in money, maint, learning curve, and resources.  If you app needs high-end database functionality, then you have to be willing to part with some money, time, and resources.

mySQL on the other hand has not been around as long as the commercial products, and has at it's foundation a small footprint with the majority of the learning curve in learning SQL and has a very low price - free.  So far, mySQL has worked extremly well in many of my apps.  Sometimes I have to rethink my design because I am thinking too much in the "large db" mindset, but that's me, not mySQL.

It seems to me that you could really benefit from sitting down with the mySQL manual for a short spell, especially the part about mySQL Ansi 92 support.  It might be beneficial to also get aquanted with Oracle's proprietary aspects so you understand what features need a different solution because your assuming an Oracle feature is Ansi 92.

This would be true no matter what DB product you pick up.  I got my start in SQL with MSSQL.  When I tried to get into Oracle I was ready to call Oracle a piece of garbage because I couldn't do anything with it.  The joins were different, the allocations different, the stored procedure language different, the permissions systems different.  But after weeks of working with the product, I began to learn the Oracle way and realized my judgement of Oracle was not based on the merits/demerits of Oracle, but on my lack of knowledge of the product and what it's target audience is.

Jim
Jim Hendricks, President, Biz Computing, Inc
Phone:  (201) 599-9380     Email: jim at bizcomputinginc.com
Web: www.bizcomputinginc.com
Snail:  Jim Hendricks,  Biz Computing, Inc.,  255 McKinley Ave, New Milford, NJ 07646