[nycphp-talk] Debugging phpBB: blank page

D C Krook dkrook at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:08:18 EDT 2003

Dan, Chris, Jon & Hans,

Thanks for all the suggestions, I confirmed the following based on your
feedback:

- Hunted down all "@" suppressions, not only in the DB abstraction class,
but in include statements.
- Confirmed that other PHP errors - like missing semicolons - are being
logged in Apache's error_log
- Created a dummy page to connect to MySQL myself, I couldn't connect this
way either, although I was able to from the command line client.

Based on the third test, the dummy page with a simple connect, I'm assuming
the problem is in the way PHP is set up to interact with MySQL.  I've noted
that phpMyAdmin is configured to use TCP and not the socket, so I've got an
email in to the guy to confirm with his host or admin whether there is a
specific connection string that needs to be used and/or whether they are
able to connect themselves.

Thanks again guys,
-Dan