[nycphp-talk] AMP comments

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Thu Sep 25 11:17:33 EDT 2003

John Lacey wrote:

> Hans,
>
> Would a 'subject' guideline work?  For example, if I wanted to ask an
> AMP question -- first word of the subject line would be:
> PHP class question
> php and XML feedback
> MySQL problem with connects
> Apache virtual host question
> postgreSQL information
>
> etc...
>
> Then, perhaps a 'steering script' could direct the question/comment to
> [AMP] list.  All subject lines that don't meet that criteria would be
> directed to "talk".  It might also serve to remind people (if they are
> programmers -- they should be thinking logically anyway :)  to give some
> thought to their question/comment ala Eric Raymond's famous "How to ask
> a question" document.  This could be stated as a simple policy for
> posting to the lists.

This is certainly something we ineveitably want to arrive at (ie, when we finally have our own mailing list system finalized) but with Mailman now I'm not sure it's doable.  For now, unfortunately, the best we could do would be to add another list, and concisely define posting guidelines for it, with Talk being the catch-all list.

I've had mixed responses as to whether adding another list is good or not, so I still don't know what to do.  Perhaps we should be totally democratic about it and have a vote?