[nycphp-talk] problems with pear stuff

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Fri Apr 9 17:30:52 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Greg Faber wrote:

> um, well actually no, I didn't do pear get XML_RSS, I just went to the
> pear website and downloaded XML_RSS, XML_TREE and XML_PARSER. Upon
> closer examination I saw that parser.php was already installed. I tried
> doing "pear get XML_RSS" but I get "no such command" (the shell is
> bash-2.05a, btw). Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

That's not the best way to manage PEAR packages. You should either
read the final chapter of PHP Cookbook or consult the online PEAR
documentation at http://pear.php.net.

This show you how to install "pear" and PEAR packages the correct way
and will save you a lot of time in the long run. (You may have some
initial troubles getting it to work, but once it's going everything
should be smooth sailing.)

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!