[nycphp-talk] problems with pear stuff

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Fri Apr 9 18:57:21 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, jon baer wrote:

> > PEAR is a PHP-based solution, so as long as you have a the CGI or CLI
> > version of PHP on your machine, it should be easy to install, first
> > pear, and then use pear to install PEAR packages.
>
> FWIRIW, I wish more people knew this ... I notice alot of questions /
> what-ifs / code based on reinventing the wheel for some stuff that are
> already solid PEAR classes

For a language that has excellent online documentation, the online
PEAR documentation is surprisingly subpar. It is incomplete,
out-dated, and often missing completely. This is a shame.

I wish more people used PEAR the same way Perl programmers used
CPAN. I know there's some philosophical differences between the two,
but I really wish there was a centralized way to find all PHP
packages, whether they're part of PEAR or just a useful library.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!