[nycphp-talk] JPEGs and metadata

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Sun Apr 11 21:06:24 EDT 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Marc Antony Vose wrote:

> I know Photoshop (and other image editors) are capable of adding
> metadata to images, kind of like ID3 tags, but I'm not sure if that
> is proprietary.  I've done a bit of research, and I can't seem to
> tell if there is an industry standard for this sort of thing.

The pseudo-standard is called EXIF. Googling for it should give you
some useful links.

PHP has built-in support for reading EXIF files, but it's not enabled
by default. Start with http://www.php.net/exif-read-data and go from
there.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!