[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

Joel De Gan joel at tagword.com
Tue Apr 20 23:04:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 20:56, Jon Baer wrote:
> Hi,
> fun fun.  Does anyone know a really good tutorial or something for building a
> new fresh kernel?  Ive accomplished it once before (by picking a 4 leaf
> clover) ... Id even pay a few bucks if someone can spare time to show me how
> the magic is done ...

You obviously don't run gentoo ;)

rebuilding the kernel is pretty easy as it is often done.
here is how I do it in my gentoo boxes everytime there is a new kernel
out.. so often enough :)

`mount /boot`
`cd /usr/src/linux`
`make menuconfig`

select your options, menuconfig is so easy it is ridiculous..
then just do a:
`make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules-install`
`cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot`

depending on your arch for the i386 dir obviously, but menuconfig is
very cool if you have not used it. be careful with putting in things
that you are not sure of and make backups of your current working kernel
and make it available through whatever boot manager you are running
(lilo/grub) which is explained in the config files for both lilo and for
grub.

Otherwise, I would recommend looking over some of the gentoo docs (which
are not all gentoo-centric)
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml

hope that helps a little..

--
joeldg - developer, Intercosmos media group.
http://lucifer.intercosmos.net