[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

jon baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Tue Apr 20 22:59:01 EDT 2004

> rebuilding the kernel is pretty easy as it is often done.
> here is how I do it in my gentoo boxes everytime there is a new kernel
> out.. so often enough :)

The problem I have is in regards to modules ... seems that everytime I
recompile pcmcia-cs and try to attach the new kernel to grub I get a nice
kernel panic every time and its using pretty much the same config file.
Thanks for all the recomendations.

This is actually RedHat 9 ... not Gentoo which Ive heard is great, but Im
too chicken to run @ the moment w/ so much work :-\

I understand that when rebuilding you have this massive .config file that
can be edited a bunch of ways but when something is stated as "modular" is
it the fact that maybe the config file is saying something else?

(this whole thing has to do with upgrading a HostAP driver for a new Seneo
wifi card which is requiring a new kernel, my RPM had this built in which is
fine but it wont work for him w/ this card).

Id actually like to learn how to accomplish this kernel building once and
for all lol.

- Jon