[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Wed Apr 21 10:20:36 EDT 2004

Jon Baer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Someone asked me to configure something which is requiring the kernel to be
> rebuilt w/ specific configurations and Im creating a complete mess :-) fun
> fun fun.  Does anyone know a really good tutorial or something for building a
> new fresh kernel?  Ive accomplished it once before (by picking a 4 leaf
> clover) ... Id even pay a few bucks if someone can spare time to show me how
> the magic is done ...

If you are working from an existing RH9 machine, I can assure you that
you'll never replicate the kernel tweaks from RedHat to get a
similarly-configured kernel.

The easiest way to deal with this is to install the kernel-source RPM,
and build from there.  I had to do this on a machine that was using ext3
filesystems, as RedHat's kernel tweaks appear to be somewhat proprietary
(or I never figured out how to duplicate that functionality with source
from kernel.org).

When you install the kernel-source RPM, you will see in those
directories that they provide example config files for different
architectures - this will give you the system that you are looking for...

HTH,

-- Mitch