[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

jon baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Wed Apr 21 10:50:10 EDT 2004

> The easiest way to deal with this is to install the kernel-source RPM,
> and build from there.  I had to do this on a machine that was using ext3
> filesystems, as RedHat's kernel tweaks appear to be somewhat proprietary
> (or I never figured out how to duplicate that functionality with source
> from kernel.org).

This is the exact problem in a nutshell ... I can get the RPM source with
the *old* driver while the new driver requires a newer kernel and it is a
"RedHat" thing because they are more proprietary ... I dont want to post my
entire barrage of error messages until I try a few things first (reinstall
the RPMs completely) ... I think I made the mistake of compiling the source
code directly for the modules (like pcmcia-cs) vs. getting the RPMs ... I
also had the cross compiler setup for building Zaurus apps which I think was
a no-no.  I should have went w/ Debian or Gentoo when I had the chance.

Just need some time to tinker ... thank you all for your wonderful
suggestions ...

- Jon