[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Wed Apr 21 11:35:31 EDT 2004

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> When you install the kernel-source RPM, you will see in those
> directories that they provide example config files for different
> architectures - this will give you the system that you are looking for...

Bingo -- recompiling the kernel is a pretty straightforward operation if
you start with a working config and only change one or two things.
Apparently that's even true on RH if you install the right rpms and
don't need something beyond what you're given.

<rant>
Given the obliqueness of the rpm system, unnecessary daemons running by
default, and proprietary tweaking of the kernel and filesystem layout,
I'm not surprised that Red Hat is as popular as it is. I'm considering
updating my standard response to people who ask for tech support: "I
don't do windows, and I won't wear the dumb hat."
</rant>