[nycphp-talk] [ot] Building Linux Kernel

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Wed Apr 21 12:53:57 EDT 2004

Joel De Gan wrote:

> It is worth it to learn, in addition you learn a lot about how linux
> works and how linux systems are set up and where things are.

Knowing this is a handicap when it comes to maintaining Red Hat systems,
and RH is the flavor of the moment with the people who spend the money.

Then again, anyone who learns Linux via Gentoo and then uses that
knowledge to reverse engineer what RH is doing (and isn't driven insane
in the process) will have serious job security. Also, I'm relying on
that person to produce a RH port of the Gentoo portage system so that I
can finally do automated from-source installs.