[nycphp-talk] More on the java vm

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Fri Apr 23 11:41:34 EDT 2004

> > On Behalf Of Chris Bielanski
> > Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:26 PM
> > To: 'NYPHP Talk'
> > Subject: RE:[ot] [nycphp-talk] Zend Studio Client 3.5 beta gripes ...
> >

> > Here, have a giggle ;)
> >
> > static void Init_MS_JVM(appname)
> > {
> > 	if(installed(SUN_JVM)){ _fubar(SUN_JVM); }
> > 	if(!has_ms_code(appname))
> > 	{
> > 		increase_paint_lag(__LOTS);
> > 	}else{
> > 		look_busy(30000);
> > 	}
> >
> > 	sleep(s_rand(20)+1);
> >
> > 	tell_bill(appname, _procID, _cpuID, _current_user,
> > _license_key, _things_that_make_EPIC_cringe());
> >
> > 	init_app(appname);
> > }
> >
> > ~Chris

 "Java's a drug you rub on venture capitalists to make them
 crazy." John Doerr (Java One, 1996)

 Which I found from:
 "Disruptive Programming Language Technologies"
 Todd A. Proebsting - Programming Language Systems - Microsoft
 Research http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~tsa/crgpapers/disruptive.pdf

 In that (white?)paper Proebsting comes to the conclusion:

 "Algorithms and design make the big difference --
 Not optimizing compilers "

 (Whoa whatta *big* surprise, right)

 I say if Java really had good garbage collection,
 every Java program would remove all its buggy attempts at threading
 (they are mostly trash) --
 of course whenever you deal with Java threading, there are
 always some exceptions.

 T. Gales & Associates
 'Helping People Connect with Technology'

 http://www.tgaconnect.com