[nycphp-talk] [ot] DSL vs cable (formerly Anyone think the Cisco/TCP thing...)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Fri Apr 23 14:54:30 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> [snip]
> Besides, not using cable keeps me from supporting another company that
> everybody loves to hate.  So I suppose it's a wash.

Beides, cable doesn't usually want to give you a static ip and they like
to block incoming traffic to ports like 80. DSL services are often -- but
not always! -- the same. BritSys gives me my static IP etc for
$47.70/month and doesn't care if I want to run a server or two. With
dynamic IP you have to do a bunch of hoop-jumping to circumvent their
small-minded policies. It's my machine, it's my connection, don't f**cking
tell me I can't SSH into my box from the outside world if I want to.

(guzzles beer and slams empty glass down on bar.)

(tips cap to Mitch P for letting him steal the stage direction
email narrative technique.)

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17