[nycphp-talk] web page file extensions

Aaron Fischer agfische at email.smith.edu
Wed Apr 28 10:52:30 EDT 2004

Greetings,

I'm starting to work on a project for a new client and am in the
process of familiarizing myself with their site.  They are being hosted
by verio.net with PHP and MySQL support.  I ran a php_info script and
to my surprise got nothing back.  After a few emails back and forth
with their support team, I found out that in order for php to be
executed the file extension needs to be .php, .xml, or .shtml.  I am
used to a server environment where I can have pages ending with .html
and the php code is still executed just fine.

So, my question is, is this fairly normal to be constrained to those
file types in order to have php be executed?  It seems inconvenient and
unnecessary, IMO, but I don't have enough experience with different
server environments to feel qualified to make this judgment.

Overall, I feel like my client could be getting the same services they
are paying for now for a much cheaper price from alternative hosts.

Any feedback is quite welcome.

TIA,

-Aaron