[nycphp-talk] question about pruning code

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Fri Aug 6 02:35:45 EDT 2004

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> Basically I have one script that has become the 'controller' for the
> rest of the side (thanks to mod_rewrite), and I want to prune this
> initial file down so it is not such a big beast.  However I fear
> that performance could suffer as a result.

Performance will be worse. How worse is open to discussion. It will be
better on Linux than FreeBSD, at least from what I've read from Rasmus
w/r/t Yahoo! Depending on load, it may be barely noticeable,
particularly if you have well-designed include paths.

You could easily mimic performance by adding in a few empty includes
and benchmarking it. That'll let you test the performance hit without
bothering to refactor the code.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copies today!