[nycphp-talk] PEAR::DB->nextID problems

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sun Aug 8 23:17:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:17:26PM -0400, Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> I like this a lot, but wonder why you wouldn't try to use the sequences
> that were already in the database?

To avoid the confusion we're seeing here. :)

> If I had a PostgreSQL database that
> had a PHP website and wxPython client, then the sequence would
> obviously belong in the database; and having PHP keep it's own
> 'PHP-only' sequence alongside the existing one is not a logical choice,
> no?

In a situation like that, yeah.

> Or were there other technical issues that forced you to go with the
> "%s_seq" route?

I didn't do it.  But, I'm pretty sure it was to avoid
name space conflicts between sequences and tables.

> Regardless, have safe travels and thanks for IMHO PEAR's greatest
> asset!  ;-)

Next time we meet you'll have to put your beer where your mouth is.
Or should I say, "you have to put some beer where MY mouth is?"

You BETTER show up at the next meeting!

:)

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/