[nycphp-talk] Site Quote

Mark Withington mwithington at PLMresearch.com
Wed Aug 11 11:21:15 EDT 2004

How true!  But I don't think we can lay all the blame at the client.
There's always a lot of hocus-pocus on both sides - much of which are the
characteristics of a young, "undisciplined" [Econ 101] industry.

As a rather rough [pardon me] analogy, I suggest looking at the automobile
repair industry.  15 - 20 years ago you could go to several garages and get
several different quotes to do a particular job.  Today, they all quote out
of the same book (x number of hours at $y/hour).

OK...where am I going with this?  Perhaps in an effort to start to
standardize rates and jobs (and remove some of the hocus pocus) NYPHP could
set up a database of positions/rates and job/efforts.  From that the whole
community could benefit.

For example:

Database modeling - $x/hour
Standard shopping cart - y man-hours

Really crude, I know, but [hopefully] you get the idea.

Mark L. Withington
PLMresearch
v: 508-746-2383
m: 508-801-0181