[nycphp-talk] Site Quote

Joel De Gan joel at tagword.com
Wed Aug 11 12:12:28 EDT 2004

Really depends..
You will see people bid super low on things like this on scriptlance and
rentacoder (and my site listbid.com) just to get talking with the buyer.
If you have a very good team of people to do this, you could
realistically charge between 20 and 40k depending on how much graphical
work they need and if things need to be specialized and built from
scratch.

However, if you can use pre-built carts and stuff you could go as low as
5-10k and have something like this built-out in a couple weeks easy.
But: The main issue with these is "always" feature-creep and maintenance
which will chew into your profits horribly unless you clearly define a
"Maintenance hourly contract".

My recommendation (from working at various custom site shops and having
done a lot of these) if you are working solo would be $25 hour coding
(basic php and html, templates, graphics etc) and $40-70/hour for any
database specific work (which you can explain is "specialized work",
don't mention the fact the whole thing is built on a database, this
gives you a great way to deter certain 'features' the client thinks they
want). If you have several people working with you and have an
established name for yourself, you could go as high as $75-125/hour for
billing on any work and specialized network coding starts at $150/hour
for a professional. (i.e. if they want some news rdf scraper)

Another note: Always, always, always double your quoted time (when
working by yourself) unless your know for a certain fact that you can do
it within that time period. Having seen this firsthand many times, it
will give you some flex area and you can sometimes come in below the
quote which makes the client very happy.

-joeldg

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 15:32, Joseph Crawford Jr. wrote:
> tried that and said i would work for $25/hr they wanted a project
> quote and then anything after the contract be @ 25/hr
>
> Joe Crawford Jr.

joeldg - developer, Intercosmos media group.
http://lucifer.intercosmos.net