[nycphp-talk] Site Quote

Brian Kaney brian at vermonster.com
Wed Aug 11 13:13:45 EDT 2004

That blank stare is a bummer!  It's important to be tactful when
broaching price and budget.

Some will come out and say "I have a $10k budget to work with", others
can glaze over or become anxious when talking about a budget.  After
discussing the project details, I try to have a quick estimate ready.
"This feels like we are in the $20-25k range.  Is this in line with your
expectations?".

This kind of communication is sometimes difficult, but most clients will
appreciate the upfront honesty.  And once the cat is out of the bag, the
topic becomes less taboo and more manageable and more fair for both
sides.

Some other (unwarranted) advice is to try not to make cost the focus of
the conversation, highlight the results you can provide.  Most clients
are excited about their project, that enthusiasms is great to work
with.

People tend to remember the opening and (especially) the closing of a
conversation, so I try to touch on the budget somewhere in the middle
instead of waiting until the end.  It also helps to offer flexible
payment terms, small businesses are very cash-flow conscious.

Anyway, just some suggestions.

- Brian