[nycphp-talk] Site Quote

inforequest sm11szw02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:23:38 EDT 2004

Joseph Crawford Jr. jcrawford-at-codebowl.com |nyphp 04/2004| wrote:

> Guys i have put in a quote for a site similar to
>
> http://www.novica.com/
>
> and the person said the quote was way too much, my quote was $25,000
> for the entire site to be done that is tax free for them, meaning i am
> paying my own taxes.  Thier site included a ton of statistic features
> and quickbooks report integration etc...
>
> Do you guys think i quoted high or low?
>
> Joe Crawford Jr.

Interesting professional discussion here... nice to see it.

If I may offer some different perspective :  if you are a general
contractor, you approach the client completely differently, with plans
to get the job at any price over some minimum you know you can meet
specs with after cutting all corners. You know those numbers going in,
so if they say $5k you farm it to Elbonia out as a CMS customization job
for $3500; and if they say $25,000 you hire your buddies and do a great
job you can build upon. Keep in mind in tis case you are in the business
of estimating and project managing, NOT coding.

If you are a coder and a company approaches you to bid on a full project
(like this one) you are at a serious disadvantage. Since you are a
coder, you know all the intangibles they can never see clearly until
they feel the pain. You can't see the forest for the trees; they can't
see the trees but see the forest.

With a request like this, either you step back and play project
manager/GC, or pass this newbie client to a programming shop for a
referral fee. If  they are also middlemen on this, as you suggest, then
more reason to distance yourself from any obligation but strong,
specific written requirements (not just "make a site like this other one
with these features"). If they balk at a price without careful scruitiny
of your specific implementation plans, that's also a sign of trouble.

I work in website optimization, which involves fixing
normal-to-above-average websites so they actually achieve their
objectives (turning committe-designed brochure sites into lead
generators, category leaders, sales engines, or advertisements, or
whatever).  One of the guidelines for website optimization work is NEVER
take a client who has *never* worked with an optimization firm or
consultant (i.e. no newbies) and also *never* take a client who has
worked with more than two optimization firms in three years. The newbies
simply will not see the value and therefore won't pay well enough (in
money or collaborative effort). The latter wasn't able to do it at least
twice already (if you work well with an optimization firm it's a win-win
for everyone, and you would most likely want to work with them again).

Sure it means passing over lots of business opportunitities.....  but
knowing that 90% of my new business comes by referral from past (happy)
customers, are they really business opoortunities? Perhaps it is better
to let the seeds germinate into plants before transplanting them into
the front garden.

-=john

John Andrews