[nycphp-talk] can anyone recommend a good captcha?

John Coggeshall john at coggeshall.org
Thu Aug 26 12:35:33 EDT 2004

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but the reality is when
it comes to captcha there is really a very very low tech requirement for
them to be very effective, and going too much beyond that isn't going to
buy you very much. What I mean is, you can probably get away with a
text-based captcha (see the comment form on my blog at
http://www.coggeshall.org/)... Which is going to stop 99% of the people
in the world. If you are actually concerned, I wouldn't even worry about
someone doing OCR as its really not worth their time. Rather, if someone
is looking to do that they will setup a porn site and make people type
in the word they see in the box in order to see their porn and go that
route -- which is exactly what happens with Yahoo!

John