[nycphp-talk] OT: Possible to send email to _specific_ exchange server?

Nasir Zubair nasir81 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 01:10:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:17 -0400, Ajai Khattri <ajai at bitblit.net> wrote:
> maymay wrote:
>
> > I have an interesting problem which I'm unable to solve on my own. I'm
> > hoping someone here can offer some help. This is my first post to the
> > list, but I've been lurking for a while and it seems that many
> > brilliant and generous minds post here.
> >
> > Here's my problem:
> >
> > I've got a client with a tiny web site which I built for them. In it,
> > I included a contact form — nothing fancy, just an HTML form to send
> > mail() to a specific address: me at sphgrp.com
> >
> > The problem arose when I transferred the site from my server to
> > theirs: they have a shared web hosting plan provided by LunarPages.com
> > with the domain name sphgrp.com but they have their email accounts set
> > up at Network Solutions, Inc, also with the host name sphgrp.com.
> >
> > This means that whenever PHP sends an email to me at sphgrp.com, it never
> > leaves LunarPages' network and instead of getting routed to the email
> > account at Network Solutions it gets routed to the main account
> > webmail at LunarPage's control panel! Not the intended effect at all.
>
> Its possible that Lunar Pages have erroneously configured their mail
> server to accept mail for sphgrp.com and so when the web server forwards
> the email to their server it just delivers it locally instead of looking
> up the MX and sending it on to the Network Solutions mail server for
> that domain. I see the MX record in DNS for sphgrp.com points to
> INBOUND.SPHGRP.COM.NETSOLMAIL.NET. You can probably test this by
> connecting to the Lunar Pages mail server and see if you can send to an
> email address in the sphgrp.com domain (if you can then that's a
> problem). Either way the problem appears to be at the Lunar Pages end.
>
> --
> Aj.
> Systems Administrator / Developer

Hi,

Lunar pages uses CPanel servers. Exim mailserver on pretty much all
CPanel servers is configured to look up /etc/localdomains file to see
if the destination domain is present on the machine, before trying a
remote SMTP. if the domain is in /etc/localdomains file, the message
will be delivered locally. Also, there would be no point asking them
to remove your domain from the localdomains list, because next time
some one runs cpanel maintenance scripts, the domain will be added
right back.

I'm sure this isn't the help you were looking for, but the solution
that has worked for me is to remove the domain from the local machine.

Perhaps someone else can point out a different way.

- Nasir