[nycphp-talk] Re: OT: Possible to send email to _specific_ exchange server?

maymay maymaynyc at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:43:38 EDT 2004

Thank you all for the quick replies.

>From the responses to my question, I gather that there isn't a way to
explicitly state from *within a PHP script* that I want mail to go to a
specific mail exchange server. Is that accurate? If so, the rest of this
message could be considered somewhat off-topic as it applies to the DNS and
not really to PHP.

Please accept my apologies in advance for that. Is there a good DNS forum
somewhere which would be more suited to these questions?

As it currently stands, I've set up a "plain crazy" forwarding scheme so
that, at the very least, things are "working."

Nasir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lunar pages uses CPanel servers. Exim mailserver on pretty much all
> CPanel servers is configured to look up /etc/localdomains file to see
> if the destination domain is present on the machine, before trying a
> remote SMTP. if the domain is in /etc/localdomains file, the message
> will be delivered locally. Also, there would be no point asking them
> to remove your domain from the localdomains list, because next time
> some one runs cpanel maintenance scripts, the domain will be added
> right back.
>
> I'm sure this isn't the help you were looking for, but the solution
> that has worked for me is to remove the domain from the local machine.
>
> Perhaps someone else can point out a different way.
>
> - Nasir

Does this mean that Exim is not even looking up the MX record to begin with?
If so, then wouldn't deleting the MX record from the Cpanel (if that's even
possible) be superfluous? If Exim isn't looking up the MX records then what
good would it to do alter them on LunarPage's? External emails (i.e, emails
sent from home or other networks) work properly because they never get into
LunarPage's servers. It's only when the email originates at a LunarPages
server does the email get routed incorrectly.

-Meitar Moscovitz