[nycphp-talk] [ OT ] Web Hosting Gone Bad

Jason Perkins jperkins at sneer.org
Thu Dec 2 14:53:53 EST 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Rahmin Pavlovic wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:15 , Joseph Crawford <codebowl at gmail.com> sent:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> i had a web host that was a reseller, they went under and thier
>> servers taken back by the company who sold them the space, there was
>> no warning for this happening at all.  now the new company wants to
>> charge me $20 to get my files back....  is this even legal to do? all
>> files on my account were written by me therefore they are my property.
>> I mean this sounds to me the equivilence to walking into thier
>> datacenter taking one of thier servers then saying hah you want it you
>> have to pay me to get it back.
>>

> Interesting.  Let's see - if I found myself in that boat, I'd probably
> tell them that my agreement was with the reseller, not the parent
> company,
> and that I am paid up.  If parent company is owed any money, that is
> between them and the reseller - otherwise, I deserve full access to my
> paid-for files, or I'd be happy to pay the $20 to take all of my
> business elsewhere.  And possibly blog the experience.

I don't think that this is a parent company - I think that
hostproservices.com had a (or some) dedicated boxes that they were
renting from gnax.com (who only does colo and dedicated, not shared
hosting). It sounds like hostproservices.com folded with no notice and
gnax.com is doing the hostproservices customers a favor, holding the
boxes (or at least copied their data off of them) and charging $20 for
recovery of their files.

And really, it's a favor given that most hosting companies would've
kicked a fresh OS install on those boxes and put 'em right back up into
the pool for leasing, hostproservice's customers and their data be
damned.

--
Jason N Perkins