[nycphp-talk] Integration for small non-profit

Dn. Kirill Sokolov kirill at svots.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:15:17 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to work out several different options for integrated
software to administer our small (<100 students) graduaate school.
One option is to purchase a commercial integrated system designed for
the purpose -- very expensive, naturally.  Another option is to stick
with our current system (poor text-based user interface - Informix
SE).  A third option would be to try to put together various software
components that all together are still significantly cheaper than the
integrated system.

The components we have now include:

Accounting
Donor Management
Bookstore (POS)
Academic Records / Registrar

The glue that holds this all together in a relational database is the
contacts table.

I think that for our needs, one of the higher end Quickbooks
applications would do perfectly well for accounting; almost any donor
management program would be fine (e.g., Donorperfect or even the
nonprofitbooks program designed for Quickbooks).  POS and Academic
programs need only to share a contacts database.

If I could get Quickbooks or an equivalent package and a donor
management program to share an SQL database, I think I could
straightforwardly enough implement open source / php applications for
smaller tasks such as academic records.  Any thoughts as to whether
this is worth further exploration?  I think I've "googled" everywhere
I can and haven't quite been able to figure out accounting and donor
management WITH an open/shared contacts database short of very
expensive packages...

Thanks for pointers,
--
Rev. Dn. Kirill Sokolov
Director of Systems and Information Technologies