[nycphp-talk] Looks like Chris will get Slashdotted again :)

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Tue Dec 21 16:13:54 EST 2004

Christopher Merlo wrote:
> Chris S.'s blog is linked to in an article that just hit Slashdot
> regarding the use of PHP with Apache 2.0.  In the article, Chris is
> described as a "high-profile PHP community member".  Good work, Chris!
>  :)
> -c

I've cut-and-pasted some repartee from Bruce Perens...I thought his last
comment about "Slashdot readership" was particularly poignant :)

  It's a threading issue (Score:5, Interesting)
by Bruce Perens (3872) <bruce&perens,com> on Tuesday December 21,
@02:34PM (#11150764)
(http://perens.com/ | Last Journal: Wednesday June 16, @04:13PM)
Either PHP itself, or many PHP applications, are not written to deal
with the multi-threading offered by Apache 2.0 . So, it seems, you will
do best if you install one of the less optimal threading models. And
then you lose much of the benefit of Apache 2.

Apache 2 and a recent Linux kernel come pretty close to the theoretical
limits of the hardware when it comes to serving static content. It just
loafs along while saturating whatever net connection you give it. It's
worth trying out.

Bruce

       I'm sorry Bruce, you'll have to come back later. (Score:5, Funny)
       by Mr Guy (547690) on Tuesday December 21, @02:37PM (#11150804)
       (Last Journal: Tuesday September 07, @04:29PM)
       It's not nearly late enough in the thread for someone respected
to post correct, non-inflamatory, rational information. You're going to
stop all the foaming at the mouth, and who wants a half-frothed troll
this close to Christmas?

             Re:I'm sorry Bruce, you'll have to come back later
(Score:5, Funny)
             by Bruce Perens (3872) <bruce&perens,com> on Tuesday
December 21, @02:53PM (#11151028) (http://perens.com/ | Last Journal:
Wednesday June 16, @04:13PM)
             It's OK because I didn't read any of the articles linked to
in the Slashdot story before posting. Thus, I maintain the proper level
of ignorance for Slashdot.

             On the other hand, I had looked at the problem reasonably
hard when choosing supported software for UserLinux, so I did know
something about the problem. So perhaps that disqualifies me.

             Bruce