[nycphp-talk] Session security: protecting against hijacking attempts POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Eric Rank flakie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:36:38 EST 2004

After thinking hard about what's involved with session hijacking, one
thing seemed to be the lynchpin in attacks, the session id. If an
attacker knows the session id, he can hijack the victim's session.

So my thought was to change the session id with every request. This
way, the session is only good for a very short time. It also does a
very adequate job of protecting against session fixation attacks
(http://www.acros.si/papers/session_fixation.pdf) because once the
attackers session is used to gain permissions, it becomes an invalid
id.

The php function session_regenerate_id() looked promissing. However,
it falls a bit short by not deleting the old session id once the new
session id is generated. So I whipped together a procedure to make it
work.

The things that it relies on are 1. the id being hard to catch, and 2.
the attacker doesn't beat the legit user to the punch. For example,
let's say an attacker was sniffing the network and sees a session id
go by. if he goes to a page specifying the stolen session id as his
own, the legit user will lose all her data in the session because the
id she specifies on her next page is no longer valid. However, if
you've got someone sniffing the network, there are probably bigger
problems to be concerned about.

To me, the following approach does a fairly adequate job of protecting
against session hijack attempts. You can use this in addition to other
validation tests (using cookies with unique id's, using user-agent &
ip comparisons, etc). I've done some preliminary testing and it seems
to work ok. I'd love to hear some feedback.

It goes something like this:

<?php
session_start();
$temp = $_SESSION;  //make a copy of the session
session_unset(); //clear the session data. probably an unnecessary line
if (isset($_COOKIE[session_name()])) {   //kill the cookie on the client
      @setcookie(session_name(), '', time()-42000, '/');
}

 //use this instead of session destroy to kill the session file on the server
unlink(session_save_path().'/'.'sess_'.session_id());

session_regenerate_id();  //generate a new session id. this sets a new
cookie on client as well
$_SESSION = $temp;  //put the temp info back on the session superglobal

//The rest of your code that uses sessions below...
?>

Eric Rank