[nycphp-talk] AMD64 phpMyAdmin with PHP 5

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.com
Mon Dec 27 14:58:06 EST 2004

> >>Is anyone using phpMyAdmin on AMD64 with PHP 5?  I'm getting
segfaults

> > Yeah - using mysql and mysqli extensions on Fedora/SuSE on various
AMD
> > 64 boxes.
>
> What versions of PHP, Mysql, and Apache are you running?  Perhaps I'll
> try it with a known good combination first.

Various Apaches (doesn't really matter) and MySQL 4.1.6-4.1.7.  The key
is PHP; really, only the PHP version in CVS (checkout HEAD) will work
correctly in detecting the right 64bit libs.

> >>when I try to use "mysqli".  If I switch to just "mysql" then it
works
> >>fine.  However, I'm using mysql 4.1.8 and would like to use mysqli.
> >

> > I'm betting the problem is a cross of 32bit and 64bit versions of
> > things.  Are you sure you have the AMD64 binaries from mysql.com?
And,
> > you need to download the client libs... and ensure you have the
> > AMD64/x86_64 versions.  Mixing 32 and 64 will cause problems.
>
> > And this also goes for other libs.  If you link 64bit libs into PHP,
and
> > mix 32bit libs in too, you'll likely have problems, which may also
be
> > hard to avoid.  Meaning, unless you're using PHP 5.1 (from CVS) you
> > can't really point it to use the 64bit libraries.  Thus, if you have
> > some 32bit libs, and some 64bit MySQL libs, you'll have problems.
>
> Would ldd tell me this?  When I do "ldd libphp5.so" it reports only 64
> bit libs.  I'm completely stumped.  I'm running off a clean install of
> suse 9.2 (although I had the same problem on suse 9.1).  The only
verion
> of mysql I have is 64bit.

Yeah, ldd should give you some clues.  However, unless you're using PHP
from CVS (5.1) it might not be linking against what you expect,
especially when used with a lot of extensions.  What does your
./configure look like?  Perhaps you could strip to a bare minimum
./configure, then add extensions until things start to segfault again.

---
Hans Zaunere
President, Founder
New York PHP