[nycphp-talk] trouble with PHP5 CGI Suse 9.1 - client denied by server configuration

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Wed Dec 29 10:18:39 EST 2004

Hi Dan,

thanks for your followup and help with MySQL.

I realized that on Linux the first time setup for MySQL is different.
You are also right about not using my.cnf for user info (for some weird
reason I remember that once on Windows using MySQL 3.23 I could add a
user using a config file ... but I guess not on Linux.)

Also - SuSe Linux 9.1 behaves in a non-standard way. So, the following
instructions might be of use to others and save them loads of time.

I am reformatting this information from another post on the Internet:

First do the following:
su - root
cd /etc/init.d
./mysql start

If the daemon comes up, then make sure the permissions in

/var/lib/mysql are correct:

cd /var/lib
ls -lR mysql
<= SHOULD BE "mysql:daemon" ( was root:root in my case)

If necessary, then change the permissions manually:

chown -R mysql:daemon /var/lib/mysql
Then restart the SuSe box.

Then the mysql daemon started automatically.
Assuming the (initial Linux MySQL setup script) mysql_install_db was run
correctly, you can now set the password for the two root MySQL accounts:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h something.yourserver.com password
'new-password'

Other MySQL paths for SuSe:
Main config file: etc/my.cnf
Socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
MySQL DB data dir: /var/lib/mysql/mysql/
MySQL binaries directory: /usr/bin/mysql*

This should hopefully save others gobs of time on SuSe Linux.

Best regards,
- Jay