[nycphp-talk] trouble with PHP5 CGI Suse 9.1 - client denied by server configuration

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Wed Dec 29 14:07:14 EST 2004

Hi Ajai,

thanks for your post. I figured it out ... please see my previous post.

It seems that the default MySQL accounts have to be initialized on Linux.

<rant>
Xampp for Windows really spoils you. Once you have downloaded the
sources for 10 different libraries from 10 different sites, built them
using 10 distinct set of ./configure directives, located the settings,
binaries, log files, libary, source directories for Apache andMySQL -
all in different places -, then built PHP three different times using
different configure directives, and then fought with Apache over one
Apache directive overriding another, then wondering why  your particular
distribution moved some configuration file from some/obscure/directory
to someother/obscure/directory, you realize how wonderful Windows DLLs
are. If you need a particular extension on Windows, all you have to do
is uncomment it in php.ini and restart XAMPP. But no, on Linux you have
to first go through the whole compile song and dance - first for the
libraries you want, then again for PHP. I may not have said this before,
but Thank God for Bill Gates and Microsoft for have spared me this
misery of compilation so far! (If only Windows weren't so easily
hackable, WAMP would be an AWESOME platform.)
</rant>

Best regards,

- Jay